Religion Sucks: Norway And An Abrupt Termination

Recent events in Norway have, rather than fuelling the fire of this discourse, had the opposite effect of dampening it. I could - I fully intended to - grab my trusty Chainsaw Of Logic and cut the world's religions (most of them anyway) into bleeding chunks but I find myself wondering what the point of it all would be: it's all been said before by more intelligent people than me and, ultimately, I don't really care how absurd anyone's beliefs are as long as they give them some measure of happiness and they don't use them as an excuse to hurt anyone who can't accept them.

The problem is not even religion per se but our own accursed and apparently incorrigible habit of mistaking the mental models we make of reality for reality itself. Whatever ideologies we embrace, whatever stories we tell ourselves for the sake of comfort or understanding, whatever scientific or magical structures of thought we build in explanation of the universe and our place in it, are, at best, approximations to the truth and not truth itself. In other words they're all flawed and we have no business making them the basis of any kind of coercive or punitive action against anyone who is doing no measurable and indisputable harm to anyone else, and we certainly shouldn't be killing children to make some kind of political point.

It's wrong, that's all there is to it.

Comments

  1. I wish I could say something more constructive, but... All I can say is that I love it! *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Religion Sucks: The Personal Stuff

The Death Of Certainty?

Into The Mystic